Check out this Prezi that does a great job of summarizing the main ideas of this chapter: The Metis Rise Up.
- How did Canada’s involvement in the Red River Resistance conflict with the principles of Confederation?
- How did Canada use the death of Thomas Scott to make Louis Riel an enemy of Canada? Why would they do this?
- How did Canada betray the Royal Proclamation in creating the Manitoba Act?
- Even though some aspects of the Manitoba Act were very unfair, the citizens still agreed to the terms. Why would they do this?
- Why do claims to Land Rights cause so much conflict?
- Using examples from this chapter, show how economic pursuits are connected to identity.
- How might Western Canada be different today if the citizens of South Branch had avoided a violent resistance to Canadian settlement?
- Do you think Louis Riel could’ve prevented the Manitoba School Act if he were still alive at that time? If not, why? If so, how?
- Why should Canadian students learn about Louis Riel?